Friday, May 26, 2006


What are the problems that need to be solved with building materials and sustainability?

After doing some research, I found that many buildings are having severe mold problems. The mold somehow gets into the building materials and causes people to have symptoms that are "similar to what is seen with a “common cold” (i.e., runny nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion, and/ or aggravation of asthma)." Fungi in buildings can also worsen respiratory problems such as asthma. "Building materials supporting fungal growth must be remediated as rapidly as possible. "
http://www.imakenews.com/pureaircontrols/e_article000376337.cfm?x=bll%2CO%2Cw

"Ceiling tile, carpet, drywall, insulation and other common building materials are likely sources for mold. It can spread rapidly because its spores surround everything and are carried from place to place by air currents and ventilation equipment."
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/facplan/articles/mold_problems_032602.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I think mold is a significant problem in buildings, probably more than we realize. I'm one of the lucky people who is allergic to mold so I've experienced the symptoms you've listed. It can also be a serious problem for people with asthma, especially children.

Even in dry climates mold can be a problem if there has been water damage. I think the proper use of building materials can do a lot to prevent this problem. I would be careful using some of the wood treatments listed though. Creosote is toxic and some of the other treatments don't sounds much better. I would do more research into other alternatives before specifying them. Chemical exposure can cause some of the same symptoms as mold.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home