
What conclusions have you found, specifically that you would like to take on personally?
I found a new alternative way of wood flooring that is quite interesting. It is called DINGO bamboo flooring. It lasts longer than wood and is a great choice for "high traffic areas." It is also more affordable and "it's physical characteristics even supercede wood." It has been compared to red oak flooring. It is warmer than wooden floors and resistant to mold and insects. Because so many Americans put wood flooring in their homes, I would like to make them realize that their are other options out there that can be used. I believe that Americans waste a lot more than other countries, so I would like to make them more aware of sustainable building and have a desire to build their homes in that manner. Not only just with wood flooring, but in every aspect of their homes.
http://www.sustainableabc.com/a-dingo.html
http://www.dingo-bamboo.com/content/content_en.asp?faq=2&fldAuto=83&cid=7

2 Comments:
I love bamboo! I've used it in most of my projects. Other good sources are Terragren (http://www.teragren.com/), Plyboo (http://www.plyboo.com/), and Duro (http://www.duro-design.com/). Duro's bamboo is available in 50 different colors. Not only is it sustainable, but I think it's prettier than other woods. It seems like there are more sustainable options in flooring than any other interior materials. Cork is great too, but not as strong as bamboo.
Kaylee,
Wood flooring is more of a coverings team topic. Building materials refers more to the structure of the home. The topic of mold is a good one to discuss, you could focus on sustainable choices for the structures of older homes (treating wood, steel, etc.). You could also look at what building materials are more sustainable that others, is it steel? wood? vinyl siding? what kind of roof tiles or shingles? Do more research and put together some ideas to be ready for London! :)
Corrine
Post a Comment
<< Home